Skip to page body Home Government About Us I Want To...

Frequently Asked Questions

If you have a question, try checking our frequently asked questions first. If you do not find the answer to your question, do not hesitate to contact the appropriate department for information.

Animal Control

1. Do I need a dog license?

Yes, Mt. Shasta City Municipal Code 9.04.010 states: Any person residing within the corporate limits of the City of Mt Shasta, owning or having custody or control of one or more dogs, shall pay for the privilege of keeping such dog or dogs. An annual license for each dog over the age of four months is required. Current proof of rabies vaccination is required and there is a discount for animals that have been spayed or neutered.

2. Where is the dog park?

At Shastice Park, located on Rockfellow Drive at Adams Drive. Please remember to pickup after your animal. If you enjoy this facility, we invite you to leave a donation in the slot near the gate.

3. Is a leash required?

Yes. Mt. Shasta City Municipal Code 9.04.050 requires dogs to be on a leash and under control at all times within the city limits of Mt. Shasta. No dogs are allowed during Special Events. Remember if the concrete is too hot for your bare feet, it is also too hot for paws.

4. Are rabies shots needed?

Yes. Mt. Shasta City Municipal Code 9.04.070 requires all dogs to have a current rabies vaccination. Proof of the vaccination is required at the time your dog is licensed. Puppies may be vaccinated at 4 months of age.

5. What is the Siskiyou County Animal Control phone number?

(530) 841-4028

6. What is the Siskiyou Humane Society phone number?

(530) 926-4052

7. Who do I call for a complaint of a barking dog?

Call the Mt. Shasta Police Department at (530) 926-7540 and an Animal Control Officer will assist you.

8. Can I sell or give away my puppies/kittens in front of a business?

By permission of the store manager only. Puppies under 8 weeks of age, only if they are accompanied by a Veterinarians Certificate of Health per Penal Code section 597z. You may be required to obtain a City Business License if you are in the business of selling animals.

9. Can I raise chickens within the city limits of Mt. Shasta?

Yes. Refer to City Municipal Code 9.04.020. A permit is required and can be obtained at City Hall during regular business hours. There is a small fee.

10. Where is my pet taken if it is picked up for running loose by Animal Control?

It will be taken to the Siskiyou Humane Society if the owners are not available. A fee may be charged. Proof of a current City license and rabies vaccination are required prior to the release of your animal.

Remember to Spay and Neuter your pets.
Hot weather can be dangerous to your pet. Never leave an animal in an unattended vehicle.

Back to top

City Hall

1. What is the phone number for the dump?

(530) 926-1610

2. What are the hours for the dump?

Open 9:00am to 5:00pm, Monday-Wednesday and Friday-Saturday. Closed Sunday and Thursdays and most holidays.

3. Is there a local phone number for the DMV?

No. The toll free number is (800) 777-0133.

4. Where is the Library located?

515 E. Alma Street in Mt. Shasta.

5. What is the phone number for the Chamber of Commerce?

(530) 926-3696.

6. What is the phone number for the Recreation Department?

(530) 926-2494.

7. What is the phone number for the Forest Service?

(530) 926-4511.

8. How do I know I need a business license?

If you are doing business within the city limits of Mt. Shasta, and it is a "for- profit" business, then you are required to have a business license.

9. I don't have that much garbage, so I just go to the dump a couple times a month. Do I have to pay for garbage service?

Yes, per our city ordinance, Title 6 states that every residence and place of business is required to have a least one garbage can per month for health and sanitation reasons. The cost for 1 garbage can per month is $10.00, each additional can is $4.50 a month. Garbage tags may be purchased for occasional extra garbage at City Hall for $4.00 each. The cost for a 2 yard bin, picked up on a weekly basis, is $61.50.

10. Can I pay my bill automatically?

Yes. You may set up to pay your City utility bill automatically directly through your own bank's online bill-pay program. Contact your bank for additional information.

11. When do you pick up the recyclables?

Recycling pick up is on your regular garbage day, only ONCE per month during the first full week of the month that begins on a Monday. If you would like to know your specific schedule dates and cannot figure that out, contact City Hall and we will be happy to assist you. Blue recycling bags and instructions may be picked up at City Hall during regular business hours.

Back to top

Code Enforcement

1. How do I report an abandoned vehicle?

Call the Police Department at (530) 926-7540. Please provide a complete description of the vehicle, including license plate state and number. City of Mt. Shasta Municipal Code 10.44.180 states that a vehicle so removed will be subject to fees and penalties before it is restored to the owner.

2. How do I report illegal dumping?

Call the Police Department at (530) 926-7540. City Municipal Code 6.04.080 makes it unlawful to dump garbage and other items outside of the area designated as the City Dump unless it is on private property with the permission of the property owner.

3. What happens if I receive a notice to correct a code violation?

The property owner and/or violator has a certain number of days to correct the violation or file an appeal. All information will be provided in detail in a letter sent to you after the initial notice or you may contact the Code Enforcement Officer directly at (530) 926-7540.

4. What is Code Enforcement?

The Code Enforcement Officer helps the City to educate residents and nonresidents of City Ordinances, to include State Laws which may have been incorporated into them for the health, safety, and welfare of everyone. This includes dog bites, animal calls, illegal dumping, or any other code violations.

5. Can I park my vehicle on the street for sale?

No, City Municipal Code 10.44.161 states no person shall park or place a vehicle or vessel or other personal property upon a public or private street, parking lot or any public or private property for the purpose of selling, hire or rent. This section shall not apply if properly zoned or the vendor is duly licensed. This shall not prohibit any person from parking their vehicle on their own property for sale or at their place of employment during business/working hours.

6. Do I need a permit to re-roof my house?

Yes. The Building Department on our website will most likely answer all your questions. You may contact the Building Inspector at (530) 938-4441 or call City Hall at (530) 926-7510.

7. Are bicycles allowed on the sidewalk?

No, per City Municipal Code 12.12.010 bicycles must remain on the street and follow all laws just like a vehicle. Remember to please be courteous to pedestrians.

Back to top

Fire Department

1. Do I need a burn permit to burn garden/lawn rubbish within the city limits?

Yes. A burn permit may be obtained at City Hall during regular business hours or at the Fire Station on Lake Street. They are good from 7/1 through 6/30 each year. There is a minimal cost for the permit. A burn ban usually goes into effect each year, depending on the weather and atmospheric conditions anywhere from late spring through the summer. Burn permits do not allow anyone to burn during a burn ban.

2. Can I burn household garbage and papers as well?

No. Only lawn and garden rubbish are allowed to be burned. All restrictions and requirements are detailed on the burn permit.

3. Can you burn in a burn barrel?

No, the State of California has banned burn barrels within the entire State except in designated areas.

4. Should I have my business inspected annually for fire hazard issues?

Yes, having your business inspected annually not only satisfies your insurance company requirements, but it also helps you know what safety items you may be lacking. This is also a great time to let the Fire Department help pre-plan for an emergency within your building.

5. How much does it cost to have my business inspected?

There is no charge for this service.

6. How many paid firefighters does the city employ?

Our firefighters are all Volunteers and we currently have 23. We do have a paid Fire Chief and Assistant Fire Chief that cover the city 24 hours per day 7 days a week.

7. Why are the Firefighters always washing the fire engines?

The firefighters are protecting the citizen's investment. All of the City equipment is owned by you, the citizens of Mt. Shasta City. The equipment gets very dirty while on fire calls. The ash and grit get into the doors and equipment eventually will erode them causing them to be inoperable. Keeping them clean and working properly protects your investment and insures that they will be operable during any emergency.

Back to top

Police Department

1. How do I get a copy of a Police report?

If you are a victim of a crime or involved in a traffic collision you can come into the Police Department located at 303 N Mt Shasta Blvd and fill out a Release of Information Request. The form will be given to the Police Records Manager for to process. This may take a day or up to several weeks depending on the type of report and whether or not the report has been completed by the officer and adjudicated by the court. If you are a suspect of a crime you must contact the District Attorney's Office for a copy at (530) 842-8125.

2. I need a law enforcement case number. How do I get one?

Law enforcement case numbers are issued when a police report is made. You may call dispatch at (530) 926-7540 and an officer will contact you, or you may make a report in person at the Police Department.

3. My son/daughter was arrested. Can I get a copy of the report?

If your child was over the age of 18 at the time of the incident, you have no right to receive any information. Parents of a juvenile defendant (under the age of 18) need to contact Juvenile Probation at (530) 841-4180 to obtain report copies.

4. How can I find out if someone is in jail?

Contact the Siskiyou County Jail at (530) 842-8157.

5. How do I pay for a parking ticket?

If you receive a parking citation you can mail a copy of the citation along with the penalty amount indicated on the bottom of the citation to:

ATTN: Parking Citations
305 N. MT. SHASTA Boulevard
Mt. Shasta, California 96067

Your personal check, money order or cashier's check, drawn on a United States banking institution, are all acceptable forms of payment. You may also use your own banks bill pay service, using the parking citation number in the upper right hand corner of the ticket, along with your last name as the account number.

If a parking ticket is left unpaid, your debt will be assigned to our collection agency and your credit will be affected. Also, you may be reported to the Department of Motor Vehicles preventing you from registering your vehicle in the future without paying the fine and additional penalities beyond the ones the City will charge. It is always in your best interest to pay your parking tickets in a timely manner.

6. How do I file for an Administrative Review of a parking citation?

On the reverse side of your citation you will find complete direction on this question. To contest a citation, you must request an administrative review within 21 days of issue date, by completing an Administrative Review Application form. These forms are available at City Hall during regular business hours. You are required to pay the penalty amount due at the time you file the review document per vehicle code section 40215b. Remember to attach all documented evidence and witness contact information. If you have further questions you may contact the Parking Citation Hearing Officer, Rhonda Monaghan by telephone (530) 926-7514, or .

Only parking citations are handled in this manner. If you received a traffic violation citation, you must appear at Siskiyou County Superior Court in Weed on the date written at the bottom of your citation.

7. Can I check someone's criminal history?

No, you cannot check anyone else's criminal history as it is not public information. You can, however, check public conviction records at the Siskiyou County Court website.

8. Can I get a copy of my own criminal history?

The California Attorney General's website has instructions and the forms — click here.

9. How do I find out the status of my case?

Call the Mt. Shasta Police Department and leave a message for the officer assigned to your case. If you do not know the officer's name, the Public Safety Dispatcher can assist you. It is helpful if you have your case number available.

10. Can my employer get a copy of my criminal history?

It depends. Most government, state, and municipal agencies can receive this information on prospective employees. Most private sector employers will not be able to obtain your record from the Mt. Shasta Police Department. If you want them to get one, you may apply for a copy and provide it to them directly.

11. How can I get a restraining order?

You may obtain a restraining order packet at the Siskiyou County Courthouse located at 311 Fourth Street in Yreka, California. You will need to fill out the required forms and file them with the Court. If you are a victim of domestic violence, the Siskiyou Domestic Violence and Crisis Center will assist you by calling their 24 hour hotline (877) 842-4068. The restraining order will not be effective until the other party involved has been served, usually by the Siskiyou County Sheriff's Department.

12. How to I apply for a concealed weapons permit?

You can pick up an application packet from the Mt. Shasta Police Department dispatch center at 303 N. Mt. Shasta Boulevard. You must be 21 years of age and have been a resident of the City of Mt Shasta for at least 12 months. There are applicable fees for the permit. There are several steps and the application process takes approximately 8 to 12 weeks. If you need to make any modifications to your permit there is a nominal fee.

13. My vehicle was towed. How do I get it back?

You may contact the Police Department at (530) 926-7540 to find out where your vehicle is located. If you were parked during snow removal, have expired tags, or received a warning notice that you ignored, you may also have received a parking citation, and should check your vehicle for the citation when you obtain possession of your vehicle from the tow company. The citation penalty amount will need to be paid to Mt Shasta City Hall by mail, or in person within 21 days of the tow. When you pickup your vehicle, you must show a valid driver's license, or bring someone with you who has a valid driver's license. The vehicle will not be released otherwise.

14. How do I find out if a sex offender lives in my neighborhood?

You can visit the Megan's Law website; you will need to read the disclaimer and agree to the terms before you can do a search.

15. I believe someone stole my identity. What should I do?

Contact your financial institution immediately. Check your credit report with the 3 major credit bureaus. File a police report where the theft occurred. The California Department of Justice has a very informative website for more information.

16. How do I find out current road conditions?

You may call (800) 427-7623 or visit the Caltrans website. If you will be traveling to Oregon, but are still in California, you may call (503) 588-2941. Once in Oregon, you may call (800) 977-6368. You may also visit the Oregon Department of Transportation.

17. An Amber Alert was issued in the area. How can I help?

If you hear an AMBER ALERT, watch for the child, suspect and/or vehicle described in the alert. Immediately report any sightings by calling 911 or the telephone number included with the alert. (Do not call 911 to request information about the abduction) Updated information may be obtained at the Amber Alert Website for California.

Back to top

How may we help you?

Please Contact Us with any questions, suggestions or concerns.